<READING TIME: 2m30s>
Life is just a series of decisions. That’s all it really is.
Just think about it:
- Waking up in the morning – decision
- Brushing your teeth – decision
- Checking your email – decision
- Having breakfast – decision
- Deciding what to do today – decision
- Replying to a WhatsApp message – decision
A lot of those decisions are ones that we make AHEAD of time.
Decisions made ahead of time help to build habits.
I’m guessing you’ve already decided that you’ll brush your teeth every morning? And you probably do this at a set time every day?
And now there’s no question about whether you will brush your teeth – no mind “drama” over when and how and for how long you will do it.
You don’t second guess yourself about it, or think maybe you should be doing something else.
You probably also don’t ever feel doubtful that you will do it. Am I right?
What if you could train your brain to feel that way about other habits you want to have in your life?
This is so possible! All it starts with is a decision.
A decision made ahead of time and then a decision in the moment.
Here are two examples that you can apply to the habits you want to create and habits you want to do less of:
- Do you want to start exercising consistently? Decide in advance when you will exercise, what you will do and for how long. And then when the time comes, decide to do it.
- Do you want to stop mindless social media scrolling? Decide when this is specifically a problem for you and what triggers it. Decide what you will do instead at this time. And then in the moment, decide not to do it.
When we realise that life is just a series of decisions, we can start to really focus on getting better at this meta-skill of making decisions in advance and then deciding in the moment what we will do that will help us achieve the success we want.
- Where in your life or work do you find yourself struggling?
- Ask yourself: “What decisions can I make in advance that will help me here?”
- COACHING: If you need support in making decisions, or making more decisions in advance, book a free consultation with me here.