<READING TIME: 3m00s>
We’re all so focussed on achieving big goals.
We’re looking and waiting and rushing towards the end results.
- “When I’ve achieved this goal, then everything will be perfect”
- “Once I’ve perfected this habit then I’ll be happy”
- “Once I get that promotion then I’ll be set”
- “Once we launch that project then things will be plain sailing”
But actually, the best way to create daily satisfaction, motivation and happiness – is to focus on daily progress.
Focussing on those small steps towards your goals and ideal habits are the best ways to create long-term consistency and motivation.
Numerous studies (including those cited in this HBR article) have shown that the best way to “boost emotions, motivation, and perceptions during a workday,[…] is making progress in meaningful work. And the more frequently people experience that sense of progress, the more likely they are to be creatively productive in the long run.”
The core reason why progress is so important is because of how it makes us feel.
When we remind ourselves of the evidence that we are moving forwards, we feel positive.
And “people are more creative and productive when their inner work lives are positive”!
Here are some simple ways to focus on meaningful progress within your day:
- Remind yourself at the beginning of every day of the progress you’ve already made with your habits/goals/projects/role
- Decide at the beginning of every day (or when planning your week in advance) what progress you will make towards those specific goals and projects
- At the end of every day do a review of the progress you’ve made!
- Track your progress visually using a simple habit or goal progress tracker
- Use the steps above to focus on your progress every day
- Take notice when you are worrying about not achieving your end result
- In those moments focus instead on the progress you have made, and the evidence that you are on the right track
- COACHING: If you find it difficult to identify your progress or believe that you are on the right track, then book a free consultation with me here.